Saturday, September 15, 2007

All Gain, No Pain (Belorado)

A grand day on the Camino! I'm in Belorado, sitting on a parkbench at dusk, listening to Mass being said. I'm parked on the bench because it is time for the storks to come roost. The nests are bigger than the church bells, some bigger than the belfries they are perched against.


The Camino takes us through the original part of every village, always past a church or two. Most of the churches were built in the 12th century (and the nearby building's skeletons).

Javier sent me off with a sunflower in my pack today. (My laundry hadn't dried the day before so the sun and I needed to work together.) I promised myself to leave it at a Mary statue at one of the churches. It stayed pretty perky all day. Where did I stop tonight? The church of Santa Maria.

The storks came just as Mass concluded. Huge, 5 or 6 of them, sailing up to the church's bell tower. Once in the nests they started clapping their beaks. It sounds like broomsticks being smacked together. This was my only request of the camino...to see the storks. I have been given a hundred gifts from this journey, but also my single hope.

Hello wine club. Please hug Louise for me!

(From my Treo)

1 comment:

Gina said...

That is so cool you traveled with a sunflower to put on Mary's statue! What a trip! I am so excited to see photos!

And I am happy to pass a hug on to Louise.